We will gather in the Auditorium of Westminster Presbyterian Church in Albany. I'm sure many of you have been to meetings or presentations there before, but for anyone who has not ... The entrance to the SANCTUARY is on State Street, but the entrance to the Rectory is at 85 Chestnut Street. A revised notice is pasted below.
*Forum: 118-120 Washington*
WHAT: A discussion of threatened buildings on Washington Ave.
A panel of experts will provide their professional opinions on several issues that have been raised and debated regarding these structures, currently threatened by the Fort Orange Club’s expansion plans, including:
- what is the age and significance of the buildings at 118-120 Washington,
- did the Fort Orange Club ever really stand alone as a “pastoral” estate, and
- can a compromise solution be reached to preserve the streetscape?
- Sandra M. Baptie AIA LEED AP
- Tricia Barbagallo, Research Associate at NY State Museum’s Colonial Albany Project
- Tony Opalka, Albany City Historian
- Walter R. Wheeler, Architectural Historian, Hartgen Archeological Associates
Panel Presentation – 6:00 to 7:00 p.m.
Discussion – 7:00 – 8:00 p.m.
WHERE: Westminster Presbyterian Church Auditorium
enter at 85 Chestnut Street
Albany's Fort Orange Club has applied to the city’s Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA) for area variances for a comprehensive plan to expand their facility. The club seeks to raze these buildings, which could date to the 1830s, as part of that plan. Concerned residents are convening this meeting to support a grassroots effort to preserve these buildings.
Please visit http://neoalbany.blogspot.com to review photos of the endangered buildings, the text of the Fort Orange Club's plan, a proposed site plan, recent letters to the editor of the Times Union, and many documents providing background on the issue.
If you have questions about this forum, please leave voice mail at 518-462-1900 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .